In a technology-powered world where many of our daily services are fueled by technology, tasks are now performed with just one click. Be it booking a movie ticket or purchasing groceries from your favorite store, you can easily place your orders and pay the amount online using an app. Gone are the days when desktop applications were a thing and traditional marketing was one of the major sources. For now, the growth of applications is attributed to the high-speed availability of the internet, human intelligence, and the services of an App Development Company in Delhi.
What are web applications?
Web applications are replacing the era of old applications. With the advancement of technology, the internet, and services, web applications are officially a thing now. Web applications are computer programs that reside on a remote server, with any user accessing them with a standard web browser.
- There is no need to download web apps.
- Web applications are used both on the server side and the client side.
- Web applications are easily accessible on different operating systems like Windows, macOS, Linux, and more.
These web applications are divided into two major design patterns and are used by big companies like Flipkart, Twitter, Pinterest, and more. The most used design patterns are:
- Single page applications
- Multi-page applications
With lots of options available in the market and businesses planning to develop their own web apps, the struggle of selecting the right design pattern from the two remains the same. Therefore, in this article presented by the Top Web Application Development Company, we will share the important comparison between single-page applications and multi-page applications to help you understand and pick the right one.
On the basis of the definition
As the name suggests, a multi-page application is an app that has more than one page with static information and links with the same content. The multi-page app works in a traditional way, where any changes in the data are directly linked to refreshing or reloading the content of the page completely.
On the basis of perks
Because of executing logic in the web browser instead of on the server, single-page apps are considered to be faster than multi-page apps. They are widely used by businesses due to their advantages, such as
1. High-speed: Single-page apps offer high-speed load time because all the resources and content are loaded in one go. There is no reloading of resources every now and then, which saves time.
2. Easy to debug: With the help of Chrome, the single-page app offers easy debugging of the single page app. It helps in showcasing all the code at once and helps monitor network operations, page elements, and other data linked to the app.
3. Mobile-friendliness: With the increased usage of mobile, most of the content is now viewed on mobile, and single-page apps are considered best for mobile usage. The reason, the frameworks, and the development patterns interest both, which makes easy adjustments in the layout of the UI.
From providing the benefit of inserting as much as the page you want to easily analysing the valuable information of the traffic visiting the page, multi-page apps provide huge advantages. The most common advantages are
1. SEO-friendly: Multi-page apps are considered to deliver better SEO potential and are best suited for SEO purpose services and products. It offers the advantage to rank higher among others.
2. Scalability: Multi-page applications provide the advantage of scalability with zero restrictions on adding new pages to the applications.
3. Analytical capabilities: Multi-page applications offer the advantage of easy integration with Google Analytics. It helps view valuable information about the visitors, the most viewed page, new changes to the websites, and others.
On the basis of pitfall
1. Low SEO support: SEO is a major disadvantage when it comes to single-page apps. Due to its initial development, it does not go well with search engine optimization.
2. Lower security: Single-page apps are considered less secure because of cross-site scripting. Lower security results in enabling attackers to inject client-side scripts into the application by others.
3. Scalability: Another disadvantage of a single-page app is that it offers no scalability. One can not add extra pages to the application other than the one already uploaded.
1. Maintenance: A major disadvantage of a multi-page app is that it has higher and more costly maintenance because of the number of pages inserted in the app.
2. Slow performance: Due to several pages being loaded and synced at one time, a multi-page app offers slow performance. It also reloads to showcase each and every update made on the applications, which also slows the performance and increases the load time.
3. Expensive development: Multi-page applications are an expensive initiative that includes both money and time. As there are several pages, it takes time, which also increases the cost.
On the basis of uses
Single-page apps are used by some of the biggest and most prominent companies, like Gmail, Google Maps, Airbnb, Netflix, Pinterest, Paypal, and more. It is used in a way that provides extreme comfort to the user, where they do not need to reload the page in order to view the updated content.
Multi-page apps are commonly used by e-commerce websites, blogs, forums, and businesses that buy or sell products and services. For instance, Amazon, Medium, IMDb, and several others. These apps are a bit slow because they transfer a lot of data from server to client and client to server.
Final decision: Which one is it?
When deciding between a single-page app and a multi-page app, there is no definite answer as to which is better because selection depends on the needs of the project. If you are developing an app that requires different pages to view the products and services, you will need to opt for a multi-page app. On the other hand, if you own a business that requires an app just for connectivity or to showcase fewer products, you can opt for a single-page app. As each one of them has its own pros and cons, you need to find the best solution or let us dwell and suggest the best. We at Mrmmbs Vision, the Top IT Company in Delhi offer web application and mobile application services.